Parramatta Gaol Ghost Tour & Ghost Hunt
Work along side APPI (Australian Paranormal Phenomenon Investigators) as they investigate the Parramatta Gaol… access to this venue is strictly limited so come along and see if you can connect with the spirit world, seeking an indication of life after death. Proudly say you have investigated the Parramatta Gaol, a place where those who committed the most heinous of crimes were incarcerated. This venue has seen it all - murder, suicide, accidents – and all so close to the heart of Sydney!
Five historical wings are open to APPI for this investigation. This is the night for YOU to be the investigator.
History of the Gaol:
Parramatta Gaol was originally built of wooden logs and was located at Alfred Square, Church Street, Parramatta. In 1835 it was overcrowded and in danger of falling down. A decision was made to erect a new gaol near Hunter Creek, on a three and a half acre block. By early 1836 the foundations had been laid. The building was designed by W Mortimer Lewis and was similar in design to Darlinghurst Gaol.
By the latter half of 1841 the gaol was nearly complete. At least half was ready to be occupied, so criminals were moved to their new accommodations.
Over the next decade new buildings continued to be built, but the gaol as a whole was not completed until 1854. There were a few times the gaol was closed, but on a whole, it was operational from 1841 until 2011.
Some notable prisoners who spent time behind its bars are:
- Ah Chong, convicted of murder and sentenced to death on 14 February 1876. Hanged at Parramatta Gaol on 18 April 1876 at 8 am.
- Thomas Kelly, Highwayman who served time in Parramatta Gaol, murdered a fellow prisoner and was executed at Darlinghurst Gaol
- George Freeman - a Sydney organised crime figure and illegal casino operator
- Paul Wayne Presdee and Ashley Dwayne Sloan, well known for escaping from Parramatta Gaol
- Arthur Loveday, Peter Leonard Power and Bill Munday
- William (Bill) Maloney, leader of the Toecutter Gang
Parramatta Correctional Centre.
Directions: Travel down O’Connell Street, Parramatta.
Turn into Dunlop Street. Street parking available.
You will see the entrance to the gaol.
$100.00 Adult (18+ Only) per night - Light supper included
(there will be an additional eventbrite admin fee of $5.49)
Please agree to these terms and conditions before purchasing your ticket.
What to bring:
Please read this carefully as entry is conditional on these items being brought:
1. Closed toe, comfortable shoes are required
2. A torch
3. A cap, in the style of a baseball cap
4. Any hand-held paranormal equipment you may have which does not require a power socket. (not essential)
Basic rundown of the night:
- The night begins by watching an induction video, similar to one that inmates would watch
- We then take you on a tour of the gaol, tell you some spooky stories and some deaths that have taken place
- After a short break, we split up into teams and begin our investigation
- The final part of the night is 'free time' for you to investigate on your own or with your friends.
- This tour is for those aged 18 or above. Proof of age may be required.
- Tours are not transferable or refundable. All sales are final.
- No alcohol or illegal drugs are permitted. If you are intoxicated you will be asked to leave and will not be refunded.
- The Government department regulating the use of the Gaol requires that each attendee signs a Waiver of Liability prior to investigating. This will be supplied on the night.
- This investigation will be strictly regimented and scheduled and no deviation of the schedule is permitted.
Why does this cost so much?
The charges for this paranormal investigation are inline with the outlaying of expenses APPI have incurred in bringing this event to you. You are covered for meeting THREE international guests who have featured on many different TV shows, have investigated the creepiest places all over the world and who are dedicated to spending time with you. You also receive entry into the Gaol, and the hire of the facility for the time listed above. Public liability and indemnity is also covered, as well as the use of a security guard.
All sales are final. No refunds. You must be 18 yrs. of age or older. Please feel free to bring any equipment with you. We do not guarantee any paranormal activity of any kind, these paranormal nights are meant for entertainment purposes only.